Organic Green Dragon tea is a unique and popular variety of tea that is well-known among tea enthusiasts for its exquisite taste and numerous health benefits. In this article, we will delve into what Organic Green Dragon tea exactly means in the world of tea.
What is Organic Green Dragon?
Organic Green Dragon tea, also known as Longjing tea, is a type of green tea that originated in the scenic West Lake region of Hangzhou, China. It is considered one of the finest and most famous green teas in the world. The name “Green Dragon” refers to the shape of the tea leaves, which resemble the appearance of a dragon when brewed.
Characteristics of Organic Green Dragon
Organic Green Dragon tea possesses several distinct characteristics that make it stand out among other teas. Here are some key features of this exquisite tea:
- Appearance: The tea leaves of Organic Green Dragon tea have a flat, slender shape with pointed ends. They are usually a vibrant shade of green, which is indicative of its freshness and superior quality.
- Aroma: When brewed, Organic Green Dragon tea emanates a delicate and refreshing aroma. It is often described as a combination of chestnut, seaweed, and freshly cut grass.
- Flavor: This tea offers a unique and complex flavor profile that is both mellow and slightly sweet. Its taste is often described as nutty, vegetal, and with a hint of chestnut.
- Health Benefits: Organic Green Dragon tea is highly regarded for its numerous health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that contribute to boosting the immune system, promoting weight loss, improving digestion, and supporting overall well-being.
How is Organic Green Dragon Produced?
Producing Organic Green Dragon tea requires meticulous care and a specific manufacturing process. Here is a step-by-step breakdown of its production:
- Plucking: The plucking process involves carefully handpicking the top two leaves and bud from each tea plant. Only the finest and youngest leaves are chosen to obtain the highest quality tea.
- Withering: The plucked leaves are spread out on bamboo trays and left to wither under the sun or in specially designed rooms. This step helps reduce moisture content while allowing the leaves to naturally wilt.
- Frying: The withered leaves are then pan-fried in large woks at high temperatures for a short duration. This method helps in deactivating enzymes that could potentially affect the flavor and aroma of the tea.
- Shaping: After frying, the leaves are meticulously hand-pressed and shaped into their iconic flat, spear-like form through a gentle rubbing process that gives them the resemblance of dragon’s well-formed body.
- Drying: Finally, the shaped leaves undergo a drying process to eliminate any remaining moisture, ensuring the long-term preservation of the tea’s flavor, aroma, and nutritional properties.
How to Brew Organic Green Dragon Tea?
To fully appreciate the unique taste and aroma of Organic Green Dragon tea, it is essential to brew it correctly. Follow these simple steps to brew your perfect cup of Organic Green Dragon tea:
- Water Temperature: Heat water to about 175°F (80°C) – below boiling point.
- Tea Leaves: Measure around 1 teaspoon of Organic Green Dragon tea leaves for every 8 ounces of water.
- Steeping Time: Allow the tea leaves to steep in hot water for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Teaware: Use a glass or ceramic teapot or cup to retain the aroma and appreciate the beautiful color of the tea.
- Sipping: Gently pour the brewed tea into your teacup, taking small sips to savor the delightful flavor and fragrance.
Where Can You Buy Organic Green Dragon Tea?
Organic Green Dragon tea can be found in specialty tea shops, local tea houses, and online retailers. Before purchasing, make sure to look for reputable sellers who offer authentic organic teas.
Organic Green Dragon tea is truly a remarkable choice for tea enthusiasts seeking a delightful and well-balanced green tea experience. Its unique characteristics and health benefits make it a treasured variety enjoyed by many.